All students must furnish their own clothing and shoes for classes, and shoes and tights for performances. The school provides costumes for school performances. By the end of the first semester, new students should be dressed in approved dress code (unless told otherwise by the School Director). Note: the dress code also applies to all academic year students who participate in Community Division classes.
Wear Moi is the approved leotard brand for Central Texas Youth Ballet. Ladies have two style options to choose from: Faustine and Milo. Gentleman should wear Hidalgo convertible tights and Conrad shirt. Families may order through Central Texas Youth Ballet for a discounted price (please contact [email protected] for more information) or buy directly from Wear Moi online.
Note: Wear Moi leotards run small. Please view the Wear Moi Size Chart before purchasing.
Shoes can be purchased in Austin at Movin’ Easy Dancewear or online at:
- Discount Dance Supply (use Teacher Code 115384 during online checkout to receive exclusive savings)
All students should be groomed properly. Girls’ hair should be secured in a bun (short hair may be secured in a low ponytail or similar style that keeps hair away from the face). Boys’ hair should be combed neatly away from the face. Students that do not have their hair properly brushed will not be allowed to participate in class.
- No support bandages or support braces of any kind can be worn in class.
- All clothing and shoes should be marked with the student’s name.
- Only natural-looking make-up and fingernail polish may be worn in class.
- No jewelry (except small earrings) or watches may be worn in class.
- No leg warmers or extra clothing of any kind may be worn in class.
- Long-sleeved leotards (not sweaters) are appropriate in cold weather.
- Holes that appear in leotards, tights and skirts should be mended immediately.
A special note for girls:
- Girls’ tights serve as underwear beneath their leotards; be sure to buy dance tights that have a cotton crotch. Underwear inhibits movement and is not allowed under tights. We know this can be a bit of a surprise for younger dancers, but they adjust quickly.
A special note for boys and men:
- Boys, starting at age 10, and men should always wear a dance belt under their tights. These items serve the same purpose as a jockstrap and protect a male dancer from injury. Dance Belt Guide is a good resource for more information.
- Dancewear is not appropriate attire for the street, and students must wear street clothing over their leotards and tights.